The first week in December we were able to spend in the Edelweiss resort in Garmisch Germany. It is an American Military resort located in the Bavarian Alps. This is great for many reasons: they speak English, it is all in dollars, which is much more afforable than the alternatives. Most of all it does vacations like Americans, with hot tubs that are hot, clean rooms and very family friendly. The things we have missed on vacations here in Europe.
Our view of the Alps from our room was incredible. The picture of us on our balcony was taken when the clouds were over the mountain, but it was beautiful to wake up to each morning.
The first day we enjoyed visiting the Neuschwanstein Castle. This is the castle Disney got it's inspiration from. In the same valley was the Hohenschwangau castle. We decided to walk the 30 minute walk up to the castle, but by the time Liam my mom and I got to the top he was frozen and screaming, as you can see in the picture. We ran back down as the snow began to fall. We met up with the boys and headed home. Maybe we will try it again when it is not so cold.
If you asked the kids what thier favorite part was, they would tell you the swimming. We spent at least a couple hours a day in the pool and hot tub. Liam has no fear of the water and would jump in and start kicking around until Doug would grab him. He would come out smiling and do it again.
My mom and I with Kinz and Liam went to the Christmas market in town. I have figured out that when we decorate in the US for Christmas we are just trying to look like what Germany looks like all the time. It is the ideal Christmas scene. I just wish I could speak the language. We meet Father Christmas in the village, his helpers gave little chocolate ornaments to the kids. It was some of the best cheap chocolate I've ever had. I was wishing it wasn't just for the kids.
While we shopped the boys went out on a hike to the Partnach Gorge. They loved getting out and moving. Most of all they were happy to not have to shop. Doug and I also took Wesley and Jaxon skiing for the first time while we were there. They loved it. Once Jaxon warmed up to the idea and how to keep up right, he was doing jumps off a pile of snow at the bottom of the hill. While Wesley kept a smile the entire time despite all the falls and having to wait his turn for us to push him back to the rope tow. Doug tried out snowboarding as well and is ready for something bigger than the "bunny hill". Two days later Wes and Jack begged Doug to take them back, but when they got there the snow had melted away and they had not been able to make more. Of course as we left the resort to head home, it began to snow and showed no sign of letting up. Too bad it didn't do that a day earlier.
.
6 comments:
Sounds like so much fun. Your family is so cute and having such great memories! Joe is completely jealous of your Christmas in Germany. Take care and tell Doug and the kids hello.
Ah, the perfect WHITE Christmas... snow for the Christmas feeling, hot tubs for the water-babies and European shopping... What a dream!
Your picture "scene" made me freeze! How fun to get to see how the Germans do Christmas. That jump that Jack made is truly impressive. Tell him I said so. When did you end up the mother of 3 boys and a darling girl? It boggles my mind.
I'm having flash backs to my Christmas spent in Germany 11 years ago. I know why Liam is crying--its so cold their! So neat at Christmas though. I'm envious of your travels you guys are having an amazing experience!
Wow Missy & Doug...I found you. LOVE your blog. Y'all are in Europe and seem to be having the time of your life. We hope everything goes well for you. You are missed here in San Antone. Take care and looking forward to reading about your adventures. What an awesome opportunity and experience!!
Hugs,
Rick and Rocky Williamson
What awesome photos! I'm so jealous of all your fun travels. It looks like so much fun. Anyway, you guys look so cute and your kids are getting so big! It's crazy.
Melissa
Post a Comment